The National Service Scheme (NSS) unit of SJBIT was started in the year 2010 with the blessings of his Divine Soul Padmabhushana Sri Sri Sri Dr. Balagangadharanatha Maha Swamiji, the Founder President of Sri Adichunchanagiri Mutt.
Under the blessings of Param Pujya Jagadguru Sri Sri Sri Dr. Nirmalanandanatha Maha Swamiji, President of Sri Adichunchanagiri Shikshana Trust ®, the Trust has taken up a special responsibility in providing education comprising three components – Intellectual, Spiritual & Physical needs of students.
Pujya Revered Sri Sri Dr. Prakashanatha Swamiji is the Managing Director of BGS & SJB Group of Institutions and Hospitals and SJBIT is part of this Group of Institutions.
The NSS program is currently running in SJBIT with the able guidance of our beloved Principal, Dr. K. V. Mahendra Prashanth and NSS Programme Officer Dr B H Doreswamy, NSS Unit, SJBIT.
NSS is a value-based youth movement which links campus with community and provides an opportunity to the students for their overall personality development through community service. In today’s scenario NSS is one of the major youth movements to retain our social values and cultural heritage.
The motto or watchword of the National Service Scheme is ‘NOT ME BUT YOU’. This reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other person’s point of view and to show consideration for fellow human beings.
The NSS symbol is based on the “Rath” wheel of the Konark Sun Temple situated in Odisha. The navy-blue colour indicates the cosmos of which the NSS is a tiny part, ready to contribute its share for the welfare of mankind. The Red colour in the badge indicates that the NSS volunteers are full of vigour i.e., lively, active, energetic, and full of high spirit. The giant wheels of the Sun Temple portray the cycle of creation, preservation, and release, and signify the movement in life across time and space.
The Main Objectives of the National Service Scheme are:
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Understand the community in which they work.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving activities.
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems.
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and practice national integration and social harmony.
The cardinal principle of the NSS Unit of SJB Institute of Technology is to get a sense of involvement in the task of Nation building through conducting varies activities like:
- Plantation of trees, their preservation and upkeep.
- Creation of NSS parks/gardens.
- Construction & maintenance of village streets, drains, etc. to keep the environment clean.
- Cleaning of village ponds and wells.
- Popularization and construction of Gober Gas Plants, use of non-conventional energy.
- Environmental sanitation and disposal of garbage &composting.
- Prevention of soil erosion, and work for soil conservation.
- Watershed management and wasteland development.
- Preservation and upkeep of monuments, and creation of consciousness about the preservation of cultural heritage among the community.
- Blood Donation Camps, Free Eye Checkup and Health Checkup Camps.
- Debate, Essay Writing, Pick and Speech and Cross Word Competitions conducted on occasions of State and National importance.
- Computer Training programme conducted for Government School Student.
- Also celebrating various auspicious days of international importance.